Monday, May 20, 2013

Horseback Riding through Paradise

Today was my FAVORITE day here in Chile! We woke up super early to go horseback riding. To be honest, I was very nervous about this at first. I never had ridden a horse before, nor am I the “outdoor” type. Therefore, when we first got to the ranch, I was a little apprehensive. I was given one of the more obedient horses, due to my novice ranking in horseback riding, and they helped me get on and saddled up. My horse didn’t want to listen to me at first, and went away from the group eating every bush it could find. After a while, I got the hang of it and actually became excited when the horses started galloping. We trotted through the sand dunes, and galloped through the woody areas and along the beach. The sight of the horses galloping on the beach was breath-taking. Definitely planning my future husband’s proposal to me this way, haha! Riding the horses was calming as well, and it reminded me how blessed I am to be in Chile as well as how blessed I am to have had such a wonderful experience here. 
However, once the group started going and I got more acquainted with him, he started listening and behaving just fine. We started out on a sandy path to the beach, then through woody forest area, then out in the sand dunes, and returned back to the beach.

It was so much fun! I couldn’t handle the horse at first, and was so scared that he was going to throw me off. Once I got the hang of it, we started walking the horses. These horses have a group mentality, so if one horse acts one way the rest are going to follow suit. Therefore, as you can imagine, the horses started trotting and then galloping away. It probably was hysterical watching me when the horses started galloping and probably even more hysterical to hear my screams. One of the cowboy instructors thought it was hilarious to chase my horse with a whip to make him gallop when I least expected it.


After horseback riding, we all washed up and had a barbeque. There was steak, pork, chicken, sausage, bread, salad, potato salad, wine, and pisco! The food was great (as always) and after we made S’mores around the bonfire. Perfect last day in this wonderful country!  

No comments:

Post a Comment