Sunday, May 12, 2013

Wine+ Pablo Neruda+ Salsa= Perfect Day

Yesterday was one of the best days I've had so far here in Chile! We started out visiting the company, Vina Indomita, a winery located about an hour away from Vina del Mar. First, the view from this company was amazing. (I know I say this about all of Chile's views, but I just haven't ever been disappointed). We then went in to see the steel tanks where the grapes are crushed and fermented.

I don't know how steel tanks look pretty but it was massive and reminded me of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. We then proceeded downstairs to the cellar where the wine is stored in big wooden barrels. The wine is stored for a maximum of two years, and the majority of the wine is exported, but they do have selective distribution where they sell their wines in select Chilean stores. We then did some wine-tasting and probably was every body's favorite part! We had a white wine, a light red wine, and a deep red wine. I'm not a wine-drinker (of course only because it's illegal in Estados Unidos) but I did enjoy the wines that we tried. It would have been a perfect mother's day gift, but it's illegal to bring the wine back to the United States, so sorry Ma I tried!

After the wine visit, we went to Pablo Neruda's, a famous Latin American poet, house in La Isla Negra. I know that I'm saying this about every view, but this was breathtaking. Words can't even do it justice. They had a restaurant in his house that overlooked the Pacific and I felt like I could stare at it all day. My tranquil moment was interrupted by the most disgusting, big, and vile spider ever and scary monstrous bees but we're going to ignore that. The lunch we had was great and were offered a special menu. The appetizer was Parmesan filled oysters, I ordered carne soaked in a savory marinate of beer ad vegetables with potatoes, and then had tiramisu for dessert. We then were given a tour of Pablo Neruda's house which was very interesting. His house surrounded a nautical theme which supported his desire of his house being "an anchor to the sea". There were many different nautical sculptures dispersed throughout the whole house. The group then went to his private beach area and just took in the beautiful sight and the fact that actually have the opportunity in being in this wonderful country.

After picking out some cool souvenirs for my parents, we headed to our final salsa lesson. It was so fast-paced during this practice, and so much fun! Our instructor is the best ball of energy to wake our sleep-deprived selves up! My favorite was a salsa-influenced Electric Slide, which I made sure I hit every step. (Had to prove myself after the cueca haha) Definitely a good ending to such a perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment