Monday, May 20, 2013

The Final Goodbye



Last Day in Chile. I thought this day would be bittersweet, but it’s more bitter than sweet, haha. Two weeks is definitely not enough time in this wonderful country, and all I could do is wish for more. I went with Brendan and Kelsey to get me my one last empanada (pollo, jamón, y queso) and tres leches cake for my last Chilean meals! Packing was relatively quick, (I basically lived out of my suitcase) but the goodbye was hard. Paula, Valeria, Javier, and Alejandro all came back to say one final goodbye and it was really emotional for all of us. I’m really glad that these people, plus the rest of the USM students and professors, were there to help us. Our experience wouldn’t have been the same without them! They helped us learn more about their culture, their lifestyles, their customs, etc. My eyes have been opened to so much more now, and my global mindset has matured so much for just two weeks. I have a bigger appreciation of the Spanish language, Latin America, and studying abroad in general. I have met FANTASTIC people and have done FANTASTIC things. Who do you know who can say they’ve been to Valparaiso, partied on the beach, went horseback riding through Chile, visited the Presidential Palace, had Sunday dinner at Tierra del Fuego or lunch at Pablo Neruda’s house, had a barbecue with your study abroad coordinator, had insightful lectures about Latin American business and economics, and bonded with so many new people and sprouted so many more friendships in just two weeks? On top of that, I was able to see the business world outside of the United States, which is really important if I decide to pursue my interest in international business. I am so appreciative to everyone who had any type of investment in this trip and making these two weeks some of the best of my life!

Going to Chile has solidified my interest in studying abroad again in the future (This time for a whole semester). I’m not sure where, but it has to be great to beat my Chilean experience. Being immersed in someone else’s culture while sharing your culture with others is something I loved doing while I was here, and I’m determined to keep having those opportunities.

At the airport reppin our USM/Pitt sweatshirts USM gave us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment